Pages

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Writing an Accurate and Thorough Summary

1. Appraising the Letter to Op-ed piece:
a. The writer argues that the human interaction found in classrooms is more beneficial to students than the interaction a computer screen can give.
b. The interaction in the classroom, in his opinion, is able to get the student to engage with the subject by asking thought-provoking questions and he is able to view nonverbal evidence of each student's understanding of the subject.
c. The writer does address an opposing claim by saying it is good to integrate technology in the classroom setting, but he does not explain in any detail the opposing argument at all.
d. I believe he defines his side of the argument correctly, but I feel he misses the point on how technology can truly supplement the classroom on such a level that it becomes almost imperative to integrate it into the curriculum.

2. Paul Vincelli is a teacher who requires attendance in his college classroom, because he feels he can engage his students with the subject matter better than a computer screen. He feels that the human interaction that is presented in the room provokes more thought and learning. He does acknowledge the use of technology in the classroom, but says there is absolutely no replacement for human interaction. I feel this is a valid point, but I believe that in the classroom setting some students are left behind, because this atmosphere can be intimidating when there are other students that greatly excel at the subject, which can hinder participation of someone who feels they can not contribute to the class. With this in mind, I feel that integrating other medias such as computers, books, and so on are crucial to the engagement of these students in order to excel in their academics and not just in the classroom itself.

1 comment:

  1. I don't really understand your point of view because of the last sentence. Do you agree that technology should be involved in the classroom for full engagement in the material? Do you think it helps students to learn and interests them more than if you were just to lecture? I would state your view more clearly. You have a great summary of the letter to the editor and your use of language is intriguing. The main part of the paragraph that confused me was when you said, "I believe that in the classroom setting some students are left behind..." I don't quite understand what that means. I would just develop your last sentence a little bit more! :)

    ReplyDelete