Pages

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Point of Contact

http://www.kentucky.com/2010/10/25/1493956/benefits-to-learning-within-a.html

This letter to the editor from Paul Vincelli about benefits of learning in a class room caught my attention because I agree and disagree with parts of this argument. I do agree that a classroom can by a very important part of any education, because it makes students engage in ways that a computer screen can't, and in classes such as history this can be a huge advantage. I disagree though with the statement that a classroom is the best way to learn in order to engage and interacts as humans since inevitably someone will get left behind, because they are intimidated by other students in the class that are excelling.

I also would like to pose the question of what the student is to do if the teacher is not able to offer an educational value in the classroom above and beyond what a computer can offer? I can tell you for a fact that a few of those types of teachers get through the cracks and are allowed to continue to teach even after countless years of poor student performance. At this point doesn't it help the student to fall back on these other resources in order to teach themselves? I know for a fact that I am a junior in Interactive Multimedia major here at OU, which involves web design and development, but I've taught myself everything I know about web development in the last 3 years I have been in school. I also know for a fact that everything you could ever want to learn is available via a simple Google search of the right word. Isn't it more important that we understand how to go out and find the answers to our question than to sit in a classroom and be spoon-fed the information then regurgitating it for a test?

No comments:

Post a Comment